What We Offer
Not everyone can make it to our centre in Thatcham and we want to make sure that Swings & Smiles is able to meet the needs of as many children, young people and families as possible. Through our outreach project we can travel to existing groups, schools and other community settings to deliver a range of sensory based play at a time and place that suits you.
Outreach can also make visits to individuals in the home or at another appropriate setting.
Our outreach sessions have supported over 500 children with special needs and disabilities to enjoy play. Examples of groups we have supported include:
• Monthly sensory play sessions at special needs schools
• Supporting playscheme sessions being run in the community
• Taking equipment along to larger events being run by disability groups
• Regular, structured sessions for pre-school children with serious illness and disability, within an existing supportive environment (PEEP – an early years programme including singing, stories and activities to support the children’s development).
• 1:1 visits in the home, supporting families to access group sessions at our centre once their confidence has been built.
“It’s a fantastic course which all 3 of us have enjoyed. It’s almost impossible to find play groups, activities or courses which cater for a disabled child AND a sibling….. but the Bluebells Peep course does exactly that! J and S are able to access the activities at their own levels, and there is flexibility so that everyone can get involved in some way. Laura and Sara are amazing and their energy, smiles and joie de vivre is infectious. Plus there are always plenty of S.A.T staff available which is reassuring to know- for tasks like helping to unload the car, bring in the kids, keep an eye on them, help them to interact with each other and the activities etc. The setting is perfect because it’s safe, secure, familiar, there are drinks, bottle warming facilities, changing facilities and hoisting.”
Currently we are able to offer this service free of charge, although we may ask for a contribution for fuel if travelling very long distances.
Please contact us by emailing email@example.com if you would like to discuss further.